Sports people are no different from anyone else – they face many of the same trials, tragedies and temptations. The only difference is that these are often confronted under the public gaze and with the on-going pressure to perform. This is where Chaplains step in – offering a listening ear, confidential care, and positive guidance.
Our chaplains on average, provide 9 hours per week of pastoral care support per club. This involves attending club functions, training, game day, phone calls, texting, catching up with club members, leading a Life Skills session and generally being available to the club.
Over the year research by Sports Chaplaincy Australia estimates that a typical chaplain has approximately 500 grace/care moments with people. This is as simple as a brief “How are you?” to visiting an injured player pre-op in hospital. It might mean sending an encouraging text message or being available to offer relationship/marriage support.
Sports Chaplains can provide a wide range of advantages and benefits to the sports community including:
- providing clubs with a member care strategy
- being a private, safe and listening ear for members going through tough times
- critical incident and trauma first responders
- suicide aware
- a great person to go to when a club has ‘people’ issues
- assist clubs committed to building healthy, stable and caring community
- provide a sustainable strategy ‘on-top-of’ training strategies – chaplains are there when trainers leave!
- they are a trusted member of the local club or sports community
And all of this is provided voluntarily. The only cost to the recipient community is to provide for reasonable out of pocket expenses e.g. transports costs, phone.
If you want to take advantage of a Club Chaplain please contact email@example.com